Apple released the AirDrop service for the first time in 2011 to facilitate the transfer of files across its various devices depending on Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, and it is now a widely used service among iPhone, iPad, and Mac users.
Although most modern Apple devices contain the AirDrop service, they may stop working or fail to transfer files sometimes for various reasons, including those related to the device or wireless networks.
Here are 6 ways to fix AirDrop has stopped working, depending on what caused the problem:
1- Make sure that the iPhone is unlocked:
If you’re trying to AirDrop files to someone else’s iPhone or someone sent you an AirDrop file, make sure the target phone is turned on and unlocked. A locked iPhone will not appear as an available device to receive files via AirDrop.
If you make sure that the iPhone is turned on and unlocked, and you are still facing the same problem, try bringing the two phones closer together. This can be especially useful if your Wi-Fi is spotty and AirDrop is trying to use Bluetooth.
2- Turn off Personal Hotspot:
If you’re using your iPhone as a Personal Hotspot, AirDrop won’t work on your phone. The solution is to turn off Personal Hotspot when you’re using AirDrop. And you can turn it back on after you’re done sharing files.
to turn off Personal Hotspot; Follow the following steps:
- Go to the Settings app, and tap Personal Hotspot.
- At the top of the page, drag the Allow Others to Join button to the left to disable your Personal Hotspot. You can then try AirDrop again
3- Make sure that Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are turned on:
AirDrop relies on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to transfer files, so you need to make sure that the devices you want to use AirDrop on are turned on for those two networks.
To check if wireless networks are turned on on iPhone and iPad, follow these steps:
- Go to the Settings app, then tap on the Wi-Fi option.
- Make sure the button that appears is scrolled to the right. Then tap the back button to go back to the main settings page.
- On the main settings page, click on the Bluetooth option, and make sure that the Bluetooth button is turned on.
To check if wireless networks are turned on on a Mac computer, follow these steps:
- Click the Apple logo on the desktop menu, then select System Preferences.
- Click on the Network option, and the status should be Connected. If not, click Turn Wi-Fi On.
- Click the Back button, and select Bluetooth.
- The sentence (Bluetooth: On) should appear. If it is not present, click Turn Bluetooth On.
If any of your devices have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on, turn them off and back on again to help resolve whether AirDrop has stopped working.
4- Make sure the operating system is up to date:
You can use AirDrop on any iPhone with iOS 7 or later. If you are having problems using the service, you should check your iPhone’s iOS version. And if you’re using an iPad, AirDrop works with iPadOS 13 and later, so update your iPad’s operating system if necessary.
You can also use AirDrop to transfer files to and from your Mac computer, as long as it’s running OS X 10.10 or later.
5- Disable your Mac’s firewall:
If you are trying to use AirDrop on a Mac computer, you must check that your computer’s firewall settings allow new connections, otherwise, AirDrop will not work. To adjust the firewall settings on a Mac computer; Follow the following steps:
- Click the Apple logo in the desktop menu bar, then click System Preferences.
- Select Security & Privacy.
- Tap the lock icon in the lower-left corner of the screen, and enter your password or use Touch ID.
4- Select the Firewall tab.
5- Click on the Turn Off Firewall option, or click on Firewall Options, and in the pop-up window, uncheck the Block all incoming connections option. Then click OK.
6- Reboot the device:
If none of the previous methods resolve AirDrop has stopped working, try restarting the devices where you’re using AirDrop. A reboot may be required if you’ve changed some settings in your phone or computer recently, and a reboot can also eliminate some minor issues that prevent your device from working properly.