With the increasing use of the internet and social media applications, it is important to protect your data online to avoid any fraud or data leakage. Your online chats on multiple social networking sites can also be protected with “end-to-end encryption”.
Meta-owned social media platforms such as WhatsApp, Facebook, and Instagram offer end-to-end encryption of conversations.
Chat messages and calls are protected so that only you and the person you’re talking to can see, hear, or read them.
An end-to-end encrypted conversation is protected by a key that is stored on each device participating in the conversation.
When a user sends a message, their device locks the message while it is being sent.
Only a smartphone or tablet that has a key can unlock the message.
The same applies to information in your audio and video chats.
Here’s how to use this feature on Instagram:
- Start a new end-to-end encrypted conversation
- Open the Instagram app on your smartphone and go to the DM section.
- Tap on the plus (+) icon available at the top right corner.
- Tap on the option to start an end-to-end encrypted chat.
- Choose the account you want to start a secure chat with, or use the top search bar to search for their name.
- Tap on the chat button available at the top right.
Enable end-to-end encryption in the current chat
- Open the Instagram app on your smartphone.
- Go to the chat where you want to enable end-to-end encryption.
- Click on the recipient’s name, available at the top of the chat window.
- Then scroll down and tap on the Use end-to-end encryption option.
- A new conversation will open with end-to-end encryption.