Many people tend to maintain a high level of privacy on social networking sites, especially Facebook. If you are one of them, we recommend that you follow a set of tips to help you enhance your privacy on Facebook:
1- Do not share any private information on your page
You should pay attention to what you post on Facebook or any other social networking site, there are a lot of people who see your posts, so do not reveal too many personal details about you in the posts. The best steps to maintain privacy is not to post anything that reveals your identity, address, place of work, and everything that you consider private and that you do not want anyone to know.
2- Use a strong password
You must use a strong password to log into Facebook, as it is recommended that your password consist of at least 6 characters and contain at least one symbol and a mixture of uppercase and lowercase letters, because the longer and more complex the password, the less likely it is that your page will be hacked and accessed. to your personal information, and you should not reuse the same password for more than one site.
3- Control who can see your posts
- To enhance the actual privacy settings on Facebook, start by customizing who can see your posts, through your Facebook settings page, by clicking on the small triangle icon at the top and left of the page if you are using the Arabic language, and selecting the “Settings and Privacy” option, then you can choose From the list of items to be modified and then select “Settings”, which will take you to the general account settings page.
- Click on “Privacy” from the list of options on the side of the screen, you will see several options for who can see your posts on Facebook, if you select “Public” then everyone, even those who do not have private accounts on Facebook, will be able to see your posts, but if you select “Friends only” Only your Facebook friends can see your posts.
- But if you select “Friends Except”, you will prevent certain people in your Facebook friends list from seeing your posts. As for choosing “Only Me”, you are the only one who can see your Facebook posts, and the “Specific Friends” option also appears, enabling you to choose specific people from your friends list. to see your posts.
- When you select Custom, this option allows you to include and exclude groups and individuals from reading your posts.
- To maintain your privacy, you must avoid choosing the “Public” option.
4- Edit the “About” section of your Facebook profile
- You can specify certain information in the “About” section of your Facebook profile, because the privacy of the information in the “About” section is automatically set with general settings, which means that everyone can see it by default.
- So you need to change this, by clicking your profile picture in the top right of your Facebook page and clicking on “About”, so you can edit, add or delete the information you share with others.
- You can set the audience for each of the categories by clicking on the gray privacy icon to the right of it, you can specify who can view this information by choosing between “public”, “friends”, “only me” and “close friends” This option indicates Close Friends is on your list of close contacts.
5- Prevent non-friends from messaging you
In the How I receive message requests section, you can specify who is allowed to send you message requests. You can also choose to be able to receive certain messages, but you have to filter them in a folder of their own, away from your inbox. It is one of the options that preserves the privacy of your page and does not allow people you do not know to contact you on Facebook.
6- Reduce friend requests
Reducing the ability to receive friend requests on Facebook from people you do not know enhances the privacy of your Facebook page, and you can eliminate or reduce these requests by adjusting your Facebook privacy settings. First, select the “Privacy” option from the menu on the left of the “General Account Settings” screen. If you hover over the “Who can send you friend requests?” You should see the “Edit” option, and when you click on it, you can choose from the resulting drop-down list if you want to receive friend requests from everyone or only from friends of your existing Facebook friends.
7- Turn off Location History
When you turn on Location History, Facebook creates a list of the locations you’ve visited while using your mobile device, and records this information even when you’re not using the app. Stopping this service is one of the ways to protect your privacy on Facebook.
8- Hide your profile
An important way to enhance your privacy on Facebook is to hide your profile, so that people can’t find your profile, by limiting who can access your page using the email address or phone number you put on Facebook.
9- Set a strong password for your phone
It is possible for someone to steal your phone and enter the Facebook or Messenger application and view your privacy, so it is necessary to keep the phone away from these people, and there are devices that support locking applications in order to protect from such cases.
Facebook helps to communicate with the world easily, but there are some risks, such as account takeovers, links or scams, so you must pay attention to enhancing the privacy of your Facebook page.